Saturday, October 6, 2007

Orders

Well, I've been working on Lisalou's scarves for a little while and was nearly finished with the last of her order. I was thinking about what to do next, and one of my co-workers came to my desk to ask about the scarf I sold to another coworker. It ended up with her commissioning six scarves! Two or three for herself and three for Christmas gifts. The original co-worker decided that Christmas gifts sounded like a great idea and ordered two more herself. Then one of my friends saw the signature pointing to my Etsy shop, and is figuring out what colors she wants out of a FunFur scarf.

Score!

So 6-scarf coworker is getting a decent discount for such a bulk purchase. The other two - not so much.

My previous quandary has come back up again. Since I'm new to all of this - I'm not sure what the rules are for selling scarves knit from patterns. I understand that a pattern published in a book or that has to be paid for shouldn't be knit and sold. It should be gifted or kept. I have no problem with that at all. But what about free patterns? Specifically, the My So-Called Scarf pattern? I made three before I knew about rules like this, and have sold them, and they are very popular. I don't try to claim the pattern as my own and gladly point people to the website where I've found the pattern. Also, the person who posted it says that the people who came up with it don't care about the distribution. When I have sold these - I take the position that I'm charging for the materials and my time. I don't want to take credit for the pattern at all. So is this okay? To absolve my concern - I think I'm going to donate part of my profit.

I just want to make sure I'm not stepping on anyone's toes just because I'm new to this. Hm.

So, here's what they ordered:

GC: (by 12/15)
1 Seed-stitch scarf
1 Boucle garter-stitch scarf
1 FunFur scarf
3 MSCS scarves

LG: (by 11/30)
1 Boucle garter-stitch scarf
1 Seed-stitch scarf

I have one of the boucle scarves done, so I think I'll go ahead and do the seed-stitch scarf to finish LG's order. GC knows that LG's order is due sooner so I think she'll understand. I really like the yarn I've picked for this one but jesus does it shed.

Other things to figure out:
Exact pricing structure so I know how to negotiate in the case of more wholesale orders
Business cards (anyone have any recommendations for relatively inexpensive suppliers?) - went with V!staprint
Care instruction cards (I'll just print these on cardstock but I need to figure out the details) - found several websites with legends for care labels; will just prep them for each scarf as they are finished.
When to make this official as far as legal & tax issues

No comments: