Tuesday, October 16, 2007

ethics in knitting

Well, my previous dilemma has been solved. I contacted the author of the My So-Called Scarf pattern, and she said that the person who posted it on the Sheep in the City blog actually doesn't have any authority to distribute the pattern. However - she gave me full permission to sell scarves made from the pattern as long as I don't give out the pattern itself. So, that answers that question.

I'm working on becoming a better seller. I ordered business cards from V!staPr!nt, and they should be here soon. I bought red ribbon, rubber heart stamps & red ink, white tissue paper, and beads. I have made up care labels to attach to each scarf and stamped them with the red heart stamps, and will attach them with the skinny red ribbon. Then I'll wrap each scarf in the white tissue paper and tie a wider red ribbon bow around that. If I have to ship them, I'll wrap each one in plastic.

On the business side, I've been thinking about how to keep up with the expenses and track yarn purchases to specific sales. A coworker suggested using Qu!ckB00ks at work but I'm not sure if I should do that. I have to talk to my mentor about other, work-related things, so I will ask him then. For now, I have an Exc3l workbook set up to track everything. I've designated one of my checking accounts to be strictly for this little business, and after I get my W@chovia credit card paid off (it has a relatively low balance), I'll use it if I need to for business stuff. I plan to become an LLC next year, I think, just in case someone has some crazy reaction and tries to sue me. For now, I will just do it under the table to figure out my business plan.

I've completed my commission for Lisalou and for my coworker LG. I just have to deliver the scarves to LG tomorrow! I've already started on the commission for GC, but real life is sidelining me.

No comments: